Restore your WordPress site in one click
- Sign in to the VaultPress Dashboard and view the Backups section for your site. Find the backup you want to use, and click Restore.
- Select which items you want to restore. You can restore your database, plugins, themes, and uploads. Click Prepare Backup, and VaultPress will get your backup ready.
- When your backup is ready, VaultPress will ask you to confirm the restore. (You can even restore your backup to a different site.)
- That’s it! When your restore is completed, you’ll see a message like the one below. Check out your site to make sure the restore went as planned, and drop us a line if you have any questions.
The Restore Process in Detail
VaultPress doesn’t just write your backup to your database—there’s more to it than that. Here’s an outline of the process:
- VaultPress collects the data from your backup and prepares it for the restore.
- Before continuing, VaultPress removes any existing restore tables from your database. These may exist if you’ve run a restore before.
- Once you confirm the restore, VaultPress creates the tables from your backup, using a temporary prefix with the backup ID. For example, when restoring Backup ID 123456, the prefix would be “vp_123456_”. Once all of the tables have been created, VaultPress begins to insert your backup’s data.
- After the data is successfully transferred, VaultPress renames your existing tables with the prefix “vp_backup_” and removes the temporary prefix from the newly restored tables.
- Once the transfer and renaming is complete, VaultPress presents the success message.
- Need help? The VaultPress Safekeepers are available if you have questions. Just click on the Ask for Help button in your dashboard.
*Note: We do not restore
.htaccess files. Uploading this file during a restore can cause the rest of the restore to immediately fail, so doing this is necessary to ensure successful restores. If you notice any 404 errors appearing after a restore, you can easily regenerate your .htaccess file. If you have made lots of customizations, you may have to manually restore it for your site to work properly.